Summary: This is an 8-month pilot study to evaluate the effects of a neurogenic peptide in dogs previously diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy (DM).
Study Procedures: The peptide will be administered by intravenous injection at days 1, 7, and 14. Dogs will be evaluated by neurological exams and owner response on disability questionnaires at baseline and on Day 7, 14, 28, 56, 120, 180, and 240. Dogs will have 0.5 – 1mL of blood drawn at each time-point.
To qualify for participation, your dog must :
- German Shepherds, Boxers, Corgi’s and Rhodesian ridgebacks of any age, weight or gender presenting with signs consistent with degenerative myelopathy.
- Confirmed SOD1 gene mutation (may be submitted for analysis by referring veterinarian).
- Potential other causes of neurological symptoms (e.g., other spinal diseases) have been previously excluded by imaging (MRI, CT, and/or contrast spinal radiography).
- Has moderate hind-limb weakness with obvious gait abnormalities associated with neurological deficits (as measured by neurological exam), between grade I (mild to moderate ataxia and paraparesis) and grade II (severe ataxia and ambulatory paraparesis).
Dogs will not be eligible for participation if they have or are:
- Severe paraparesis (grade III) or paraplegia (grade IV).
- Diagnosis of non DM neurological disease or musculoskeletal disease which may interfere with outcome assessments.
- Any dog diagnosed with a co-morbidity which may affect outcome measures including endocrinopathy, heart disease, or previous spinal trauma.
- Dogs that are pregnant or lactating.
The study procedures are at no cost to dog owners. Dog owners will be reimbursed for time and effort.